Plastic medals + FREE injection mould design
Make plastic recycled medals to boost promotion of methods how to post-process plastic waste. In this how to you can find blueprints for very simple injection mould and I describe manufacturing process. Average cycle time approx. 4,5min. / medal. —
- 3D Step File: /files/OPEN_SOURCE/cov-02-0000-01.stp - Preview
- 3D Step File: /files/OPEN_SOURCE/cov-02-0001-01.stp - Preview
- 3D Step File: /files/OPEN_SOURCE/cov-02-0002-01.stp - Preview
- 3D Step File: /files/OPEN_SOURCE/cov-02-0003-01.stp - Preview
- 3D Step File: /files/OPEN_SOURCE/cov-02-0004-01.stp - Preview
Step 1 - 1. What do you need?
- injection mould - you can download blueprints for free
- injection machine developed by Precious Plastic
Step 2 - Prepare material
Select colour as you want.
Shread it into small pieces which you can get into cylinder of injection machine.
Step 3 - Prepare injection mould
It consists of 4 parts:
- connector is made from machined aluminium (same design as for dome joints)
- top plate, middle plate and bottom plate were laser cutted
- you can also add engraving to make lables on every medal as you want.
We made laser engraving in depth of 0,3mm.
Middle part and bottom part are connected with bolts.
To make holes in plastic part I finally used a bolt M6 which I screw inside for every medal before every injection.
Step 4 - Injection moulding
For HDPE I used 260 deg. C
Melting time 18 min. (depends on size of shredded particles)
After injection leave mould for 2 min closed.
Remove medals and cut edges.
In video or picture below you can see it was difficult to press it. I used material from oil bottles which was difficult to inject. :D
Step 5 - Make people happy
+ easy to make
+ interesting for public
+ you can use medal also as coaster or attach it to keys
- stiffness of mould is not very good => if you apply more force plastic can flow out easily and you need cut more plastic.
Get in touch: https://linktr.ee/plastmakers
— — —